Sunday, May 23, 2010

Untitled Love 3

The bar was rather large.  That night they had a band playing, so when they walked in it was rather loud.  But Danny saw his work mates in the corner already getting started.  But Layla went directly to the bar, waved her hand 3 and said “shots, tequilla!”  Quickly the bartender made her drinks she left her ID and her credit card at the bar and one after the other she drank them down.  After they were all done and gone she shook her head gave herself a few seconds to clear her mind asked for a long island iced tea and turned around and headed for the corner.  
“There you are.  Ok you remember the guys right?”  
“Yes, Brian, Mike, Larry, Michelle and sorry I don’t think we’ve met” said Layla.
“Oh no we haven’t I just started working at the office.  I’m Kimmy.”
“Well Kimmy, its nice to meet you.  Where did you come from?”
“I came from the other side of the country.”  Layla gave her such a confused looked.  As the alcohol started to really kick in and Kimmy says “California.”
“Right!  Of course” says Layla as she starts to laugh.  “When people say the other side of the country and I’m on the east coast I should assume its California.  Well I guess this stuff is starting to work” making notions to her drink she grabs it up and drinks some.  “Are you not drinking tonight?” she asks Kimmy.
“I am but I don’t need to start drinking to have a good time.”
“I don’t either but I rather enjoy how it loosens me up a bit.”
Looking away Kimmy says under her breath “a bit…” and sips on her coke.  “So Layla what do you do?”
“Well besides make Danny look good.”  Both laughing as they look over at Danny and Danny looking back.
“What’s going over here?”
“Nothing, I’m just telling Kimmy how I make you look good just by being on your arm.”
“Yes babykins you are my ultimate accessory.  I really don’t need much else to make me look good” and he leans over and kisses Layla on the cheek.
“Thanks hunny!  No but seriously I’m a manager at a restaurant.”
“Really which restaurant.  Maybe I can go in and eat there some day” says Kimmy.
“She works at Roaming Traveler.  Its on the other side of town near the water.  One of my favorite places to eat.  Actually that’s where I met her.  My food was cooked wrong and she came out to fix it and to be honest didn’t care to get it fixed after she came to the table.  All I wanted was her number.”
“Yea and I said ‘if there is anything else I can do here’s my card and I’ll put my cell number on the back.’” 
“Aww and he of course called you back, right?  Assuming because you two wouldn’t be standing here together.”
“Right!”  They said together.  Then Danny turned to Layla kissed her on her head and says “You know babe, even though KImmy’s new to the company she’s one of the best.  She was highly recommended when she got to us.”
Sipping on the last bits of her iced tea Layla asks “so what brings you here then.  From what I hear you must have been the good at the other company.”
“I needed a change from that life.  So I went across the country to find something more to life.”
“Something more” said Layla in a tone sounding as if there is more to life.  “What do you mean something more?”
“Well I felt like I couldn’t get more from the area I was living in, nor the relationship I was in.  And well I was offered this job which paid more and seemed more enticing so I said why not.  If this doesn’t turn out to be something better or something more then I will go back to the drawing board.  I don’t mind going back to page one and starting over.”
Layla was utterly confused now.  One, who ever wants to start back on page one and two, Layla believed that life is one path.  It will lead you to where you are supposed to go.  Meaning you don’t need to keep changing paths or moving and starting over.  She believed by working hard that was the best outcome.
“How many times have you had to start over?” asked Layla.
“Well I’ve been changing and moving on since probably fifteen.”
“Wow!  Fifteen.”  Layla looked at Kimmy and thought to herself.  She doesn’t look that old.  She must be one strong woman!  “Well here’s to starting on a fresh page!”
“Here, here!”
As soon as they finished talking the band started playing Jessie’s song.  Layla jumped up found Danny and dragged him to the dance floor.  And so the night started!  

1 comment:

L.C said...

kimmy sounds interesting...can't wait to see how her character develops. keep it up.
LC