Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Stand Out

Standing at the edge of the pier
As your train leaves the station
It was the last time
My heart broke
The last time I allowed you to try to hold on to me
The last time I allowed you to need me


How destructive have you been to me
How destructive has this love been
I’ve only shed tears
Being told there’s nothing good in it
Only hearing others saying it will end up in disaster


Yet I wouldn’t hear it
I didn’t want to hear it
All I wanted was to fix you and me
Fix the broken parts
But you wouldn’t allow it


It was only your way
I accepted it because I loved you
I accepted it because I needed you
And you needed me


But how could this work
How could it if you wouldn’t give me air to breathe
You kept suffocating me
With your emotions
Your mental state
Your depraved heart


But you never gave me the time I needed
You never allowed me to stand on my own
It was only if I stood with you in front of me
With you holding my hand
With you checking my every step


How could this be love
How could this be more


Today I saw you get on that train
I broke because I believed my love was leaving on it
But in reality it was because it hurt to shed that part of me
It hurt not to run with you
But I can’t keep standing in your shadow
I can’t keep staying hidden


I need to step out on my own
And turn my back on having to hold your hand
Turn my back at standing with someone
And stand on my own

No comments: